HTML5 is a markup language used for structuring and presenting content on the World Wide Web. It is the fifth and latest major HTML version that is a World Wide Web Consortium recommendation.
- HTML stands for Hyper text markup language
- Hypertext refers to the way in which Web pages (HTML documents) are linked together. Thus, the link available on a web-page is called Hypertext
- HTML is being widely used to format web pages with the help of different tags available in HTML language
Basic HTML Document
In its simplest form, following is an example of an HTML5 document:
- <!DOCTYPE html> : Every HTML document begins with a HTML document tag. This tag defines the document type and HTML version. Although this is not mandatory but it is a good convention to start the document with this tag.
- <html> : Every HTML code must be enclosed between basic HTML tags. This tag encloses the complete HTML document and mainly comprises of document header which is represented by <head> ... </head>and document body which is represented by <body> ... </body>tags.
- <head> : This tag represents the document’s header which can keep other HTML tags like <title>, <link> etc.
- <title> : This tag is used to mention the document title.
- <body> : Next step is the most important of all the tags. The body tag contains the actual body of the page which will be visible to all the users. This tag represents the document’s body which keeps other HTML tags like <h1>, <div>, <p> etc. Every content enclosed within this tag will be shown on the web page be it writings or images or audios or videos or even links.